Thursday, October 1, 2015

Lifeguard PreTest

Exciting life update :) 

I am being considered for a promotion at work (YAY) which may not happen till late spring/summertime. In order to get this promotion I need to get my lifeguard certification.

BIG PROBLEM HERE: I think my current stage of health would be = couch potato. I may not be your typical coach potato because I still get some form of physical activity in during the week but I am soooo out of shape.

I've been looking up videos and articles ANYTHING to try and give me a clue as to how to get into shape so I can qualify to even become a lifeguard. Honestly there is little to no advice out there on how to go from out of shape to lifeguard. So I've decided to make blog posts on my journey and hopefully I can qualify!


Basically the lifeguard pre-test is a swimming abilities test given prior to being able to take a lifeguard certification course. It's testing to see whether you have the physical stamina required to perform the duties of a lifeguard.

There are three parts (based on the American Red Cross):

1) Swim front crawl, breaststroke, or combination of both for a total of 300 meters
--At your own pace, and it can be with goggles
--No prolonged stops at either end of the wall; use open turns or flip turns
2) Tread water with NO hands for 2 minutes
3) Timed event: 1min 40 sec ; swim 20 yards retrieve 10 pound brick from a surface of 7-10ft (using surface dive), then swim on back 20 yards with both hands on the brick


I'm a little bit nervous because I am out of shape and swimming that much is kind of daunting.


If you have any great tips on how I should train to take the pre-test or overall just training to prepare to be a lifeguard that would be great! List your great ideas in the comments down below!

No comments:

Post a Comment